Cracked heels are very common and painful problem. It can change in severity from a simple cosmetic issue to a very painful problem. With dry, thickened skin, the problem can be accompanied by other symptoms like redness, painful itching, severe inflammation and peeling skin. It can be solved only by taking proper precautions. You can get rid of cracked heels right away by using different home remedies for cracked heels. But before discussing home remedies, consider the causes of cracked heels.
Causes of Cracked Heels:
Some of the major causes of cracked heels are dry air improper foot care, lack of moisture, an unhealthy diet, prolonged standing on hard floors, aging and wearing the uncomfortable shoes. Some health conditions like psoriasis, eczema, corns and calluses, thyroid disease and diabetes can also add to the problem.
You can protect your heels by considering all the above mentioned causes of cracked heels which can be avoided with proper care and heed. However, once your heels have been damaged you need to cure them.
Best Effective Home Remedies for Cracked Heels:
Here are some home remedies for cracked heels which can resolve your problem.
- Vegetable Oil For Cracked Heals: Use a variety of vegetable oils to get rid of cracked heels. Vegetable oils are used to treat and avoid cracked heels. Oils like olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil or any other hydrogenated vegetable oil are best remedies for cracked heels. You can use the following remedy before going to bed to cure this problem. Allow ample time for the curing oil to completely penetrate your skin. Soak your feet in soapy water and then scrub your feet with a pumice stone. Later wash your feet and let them dry thoroughly. Now apply any vegetable oil on your damaged heels and soles. After this treatment, put on your pair of clean socks and leave socks on your feet for overnight. In the morning, you will notice softer heels. Do this treatment repeatedly for a few days until all cracks on heels are gone absolutely.
- Rice Flour for Cracked Heels Treatment: Use rice flour to exfoliate your feet skin and heels. Rice floor helps in removing dead skin, thus to cure cracked heels and dryness. It can be used as a part of homemade exfoliating scrub. To cure cracked heels make a scrub by mixing a handful of ground rice, a small number of teaspoons of honey and apple cider vinegar. Stir this scrub to make a thick paste. If the cracking on heels is in extreme bad condition, add a tablespoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil. Now soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes. Scrub them gently with this rice flour paste. Use this scrub repeatedly a few times a week until you are pleased with the results.
- Indian lilac treatment for cracked skin: One of the best remedies for cracked heels is Indian lilac which is also known as margosa leaves or neem. It is an effective home remedy for your cracked feet, particularly when they become inflamed and infected. This herb Neem can soothe dry and irritated skin. It can fight with infection with its fungicidal properties. Make a fine paste of this herb by crushing handful of Indian lilac leaves. Add three teaspoons of turmeric powder and mix it well. Now apply this paste on the cracked heels and leave it on them for half and hour. Later wash your feet with warm water and let them dry with a clean cloth.
- Lemon for Cracked skin treatment: One of the best home remedies for cracked heels is lemon which has acidic property that can be very effectual in softening rough skin which leads to cracks on heels. To cure cracked heels, soak your feet for 10 to 15 minutes in warm water and add lemon juice to it. Don’t use very hot water otherwise it will cause your feet to dry out more. Scrub your cracked feet by using a pumice stone. Now wash your feet and let them get dry with a towel.
How to Heal Cracked Heels using Home Remedies:
- Glycerin and rose water: To cure cracked feet, use a combination of glycerin and rose water which one of the best remedies for cracked heels. Glycerin softens our skin that is why it is widely used in cosmetics. While rose water have vitamins A, B3, C, D, and E as well as anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antioxidant properties. You just need to mix equal amounts of glycerin and rose water methodically. Rub it on the cracks on heels and feet daily. Use it before going to bed at night. Click here to read experts suggestions for the Cracked Heal Treatments.
- Paraffin wax for Cracked Heels treatment: If the condition of the cracks on heels gets worst with a lot of pain, use this paraffin wax treatment, it can be one of the best home remedies for cracked heels. It helps to provide quick relief. This treatment works like a natural emollient to soften your feet skin. You can use it by melt one block of paraffin wax in a double boiler and mixing it in two tablespoons of mustard oil or coconut oil. Allow it to get cool and until a thin layer forms on the top. Dip your cracked feet in this mixture and wait for 5 to 10 seconds and dip them again. Do it a few times and you will have several layers of wax built up. Now, cover your feet with plastic sheet and leave it on for 30 minutes before peeling off wax from your skin. Repeat this treatment one or two times a week. Do not use this cure if you are a diabetic patient or you have poor circulation.
- Moisturized the damaged heels: If you want to get rid of cracked heels, it’s essential to take more care in keeping your heels well moisturized. Moisturize your feet can do with an Epsom salt or a sea salt foot soak. It can help in improved circulation. Use this salt by mixing one-half cup of it in a foot tub filled with warm water. Now soak your feet in it for 10 minutes. After soaking, scrub your feet with a pumice stone and let them soak again in the foot soak for 10 minutes. Let your feet get dry and apply some foot cream or petroleum jelly to preserve this moisture. For best results, you can put on a pair of socks to avert the added moisture from evaporating.
- Benefits of Banana Ripe for Cracked heels: Use ripe bananas to cure cracked heels. It is one of the cheapest home remedies for cracked heels because of its moisturizing properties. You can use them by mashing one ripe banana into a smooth paste. Now clean your feet thoroughly and apply this banana paste onto your cracked heels. After applying, let it to set for 10 to 15 minutes in order that your skin will absorb the natural nourishment. Later wash your feet with warm water and then soak them in cold water for 5 to 10 minutes. Do it daily for a few weeks to cure cracked feet.
- Benefits of Honey for Cracked heels: Another one of the best remedies for cracked heels is honey. It has moisturizing and antibacterial properties which makes it an excellent treatment to cure cracks on heels. To cure cracked feet, stir one cup of honey in a foot tub of warm water. Now soak your feet in this water for 15 to 20 minutes. Later scrub your feet gently. Do it daily to get rid of cracked heels. After a week you will see improvement. Click here to read more about the benefits of Honey.
- Petroleum Jelly to heal Cracked Heels: Use petroleum jelly to cure cracked feet as well as to prevent it. Use petroleum jelly on dry, rough skin to cure and to prevent cracked heels. Leave your feet to get soft and well moisturized. Now scrub the hard dead skin of your heel after soaking your feet in warm water. Apply petroleum jelly over the heel area. You can mix one teaspoon of lemon juice in it to get best results. It will cure your feet well.
If you are at the first stage of cracked heels, you should try all these natural treatments to repair soft and smooth skin on your heels. Use these home remedies for cracked heels and also keep your body well hydrated by drinking plenty of water. You won’t need any doctor if you will follow these instructions carefully.